Friday, December 31, 2010

handmade gifts 2010: Weekend-Away Travel Bag



I sewed my first item from my copy of Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross, the little zippered travel bag for my niece Erin. I've had the book a long while so I'm glad this gift gave me the excuse I was looking for to break into its patterns.

I also gave her a copy of Denyse Schmidt Quilts as part of her gift, and that's where I got the idea for the flower and vine applique on the bag. The vine runs underneath the bag and the flower motif repeats on the opposite side of the bag. After flipping through Erin's copy of the book I decided I needed a copy of DS Quilts for myself, so hopefully I will soon be getting that for a birthday gift from my lovely, gracious, and did I mention generous sister, Lita.


It's a nice sized bag, and would be ideal for a makeup or small toiletries bag. I like how Heather designed it to have no unfinished edges inside, but I think I might just add some bias binding to the inside seams next time and avoid all the turning.


I added a cotton webbing handle because Erin is always running out the door somewhere and it would be easier to grab when you have ten other things in your hands, including the cutest boy toddler in the world.

8 comments:

  1. I love the colors...now I want to look up that book and get one for myself. My 15 year old daughter would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess that answers that question. Cute bag! Do I need the Heather Ross book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love the background fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bag! I made this bag a while back for my family -- we LOVE it. Well, I LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow i love this! YOu are VERY creative!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!